For many people, a big backyard that is perfectly landscaped is a lifelong goal that takes many years to accomplish. However, this isn’t always in the cards for some. If your home has a small outdoor living space, don’t panic just yet. There are many things you can do to make the most of your limited outdoor living space, some of which we will go over below. As a Fort Worth outdoor living design company, we have plenty of tricks up our sleeves that will turn your small backyard into a beautiful, inviting space that you will love spending time in.
While you may be disappointed at first that you won’t have all the room you want to create the backyard of your dreams, it is important to keep in mind that a small yard gives you the chance to maximize your space and create a cozy outdoor living area that is designed specifically for you. In these instances, we are able to design and implement a more intimate atmosphere perfect for entertaining and relaxing. Believe it or not, small space gardens and yards can have just as much color, texture, visual appeal, and character as their larger counterparts. You will still be able to create a functional space that meets your needs, is great for entertaining, and does not require a lot of maintenance.
Here are a few tips designed to help you transform your small backyard into a beautiful, functional outdoor living space that you will be able to enjoy for many years to come.
- Add a Change in Elevation. One of the best ways to improve the design of a small backyard space is to add steps or a small platform. This is a subtle way to create multiple outdoor rooms and make the most out of the area you are working with. You can also increase the visual separation by using different flooring materials between the rooms, such as concrete, wood, or flagstone.
- Simple is Better. Putting in low-maintenance plants in containers or building clever planters out of repurposed materials – such as pallets – is a great way to breathe some life into your yard without taking up all your free time. Container plants that are 2-3 feet tall will create instant privacy and give you the option to change things up from time to time, as they are easily moveable.
- Use Small-Scale Furniture. Using pieces of furniture with thin frames and petite bodies will instantaneously make any small space feel bigger. Compact bistro sets and built-in benches are perfect options, and you may also want to add a pergola or canopy to shield your new area from the sunshine.
- Forget the Grass. This may be a tough one for many, but getting rid of your grass in place of xeriscaping or synthetic grass is both an affordable and aesthetically pleasing idea for small yards.
- It’s All About the Lighting. Lighting plays a major role in how a space feels, so it is important to incorporate lighting that both has a purpose and sets the mood. Solar lights, torches, or even candles are a great way to create ambiance without breaking the bank. Be strategic with your placement, installing them around the perimeter of your deck, in the latticework, or into planters.
If you have a small yard and aren’t sure where to start, give Pool Quest a call today and let us help you turn your space into one you won’t be able to get enough of!