Winter is typically the time of year when homeowners start planning for additions, redesigns, or renovations to their home come spring. One of the most commonly tackled projects is the landscape of the back or front yard. Whether you are considering completely redesigning your landscape or making a few simple changes, there are a few important factors to keep in mind before you dive in.
Here at Pool Quest, our knowledgeable team of designers will work with you to come up with a design plan that is not only perfect for your yard, but in line with your own vision. Creating a plan before you head to your local garden supply store will help you chose the plants that best fit your landscape needs, and that will also do well in your environment. When in the planning phase, be sure to take into consideration the elements of balance, texture, color, and height. In doing so, you are far more likely to end up with a beautiful landscape design that fits well with your yard and home overall.
Here are a few basic landscaping tips to take into consideration when landscaping your yard:
- Know your yard. Before you start getting dirty and have the shovel in your hand, it is a good idea to make sure you truly know your yard. With this, think about your regional climate, the topography of your space, and your soil type. When analyzing the topography of your space, also look at how water drains in your landscape, as the best landscape design should promote water movement away from your home and towards other parts of your yard.
- Utilize available spaces. Taking a step back and assessing all the available spaces of your yard will help you plan better. For example, if you are bothered by the noise from cars driving by your home, you could use hedges and shrubs to create a barrier. If you have kids, including a play area in your initial design will make things easier for you down the road.
- Evaluate how much sunlight your yard gets. Try and pay attention to how much sunlight different areas of your yard get throughout the day. The amount of sunlight can directly affect what type of plants you use. Also be sure to notate the spots in your yard that are the shadiest.
- Do your research. Head to your local garden center and start looking for plants that appeal to you prior to when you will actually need them. This will help give you a better idea of what is available? How much space you need to plan for? What direction you want to go?
- Think outside the box. Redesigning your landscape should be fun, so try and think outside the box when it comes to the plants you use as well as the actual design. Use plants with different leaf textures, make use of pebbles and stones, and implement certain shrubs throughout the different areas to promote continuity.
Get a jumpstart on your spring landscape design project this winter by doing your research and meeting with a landscape consultant from Pool Quest. By planning ahead, you will have a better idea of what you truly want to do with your yard in the coming months.